I Dare You Book Tag

20:59


I was tagged by Megan at Probability Reading. The rules are:


  • You must be honest
  • You can’t not answer a question
  • You have to tag at least four people
Here are my answers: 

1.)Which book has been on your shelf longest?
I still own my childhood picture books - and several new ones!. My favourite as a child was ‘Whatever Next’.

2.) What is your current read, last read and the book you’ll read next?
Current read – Have just finished a book. For simplicity’s sake I’ll pretend I have a page left and say The Sin Eater’s Daughter.
Last read – The Bombs that Brought Us Together by Brain Conaghan
Next read – Next YA will be The Call by Peadar O’Guin. May read some middle grade first – The Nightspinner by Abi Elphinstone, The Wilderness War by Julia Green or Scarlett and Ivy by Sophie Cleverley are all high on my TBR.

3.) What book(s) did everyone like but you hated?
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and Wonder. I have a track record for disliking books with major hype outside the reading community. Sometimes this is about other people’s reactions, and sometimes about the book itself. I thought Wonder framed Auggie as ‘Boy-with-facial-disfigurement’. It looked at how Auggie’s perspective on his facial disfigurement, and how other children’s reactions to Auggie developed. Characters with disabilities/health conditions are as capable of having adventures and developing their world view as other characters. The Pyjama book merits a blog post in itself.

4.) Which book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?
Anna Karenina.

5.) Which book are you saving ‘for retirement’?
Is it cheating to say Anna Karenina? My mum recently retired. She has just finished Dorothy Wordsworth’s journal.

6.) Last page: read it first or wait until the end?
Wait until the end. Sometimes I peak at the last word.

7.) Acknowledgements: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside?
This was discussed on my recent Arvon course. Acknowledgements are a way to find out which agents represent which authors. I always cheer mentions of the blogging community.

8.) Which book character would you change places with?
Alice Silver from The Other Alice.My characters could come out of my head and tell me their stories. Wait – would I have to live through her storyline??!

9.) Do you have a book which reminds you of something specific in your life?
The Years by Virginia Woolf. It was sent to me my wonderful friend. It was her favourite book.

10.) Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.
I bought a couple of second hand books by Sarah Hall, and was told by she had sold them to the shop herself. I’m ashamed to say I flicked through on the off chance she has scribbled her name… A couple of years later, she signed them for me after a talk at Borderlines Festival.  

11.) Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?
When my friend became an NQT I gave him some of my double copies.

12.) Which book has been with you to the most places?
Can’t think offhand. When my family moved 18 months ago, the removal workers suggested I buy a Kindle.

13.) Any ‘required reading’ you hated in school, which wasn’t so bad two years later?
I refused to read To Kill a Mockingbird when my Mum told me I should. It is one of my all time favourites.

14.) What is the strangest item you have found in a book?
I used to sort books in a high-street charity shop. I’ve seen it all …The most interesting thing I found was a WW2 pamphlet. The manager told me to throw it away. I kept hold of it.

15.) Used or brand new?
Both. I’m fussy with new books, and hate it when the spine breaks.

16.) Have you ever read a Dan Brown?
Yes. Up to a certain age, we have less sense of high and low brow. At fifteen I went from Dan Brown to Louis De Bernières via Dickens and Anita Shreve.

17.) Have you ever seen a film you liked better than a book?
Atonement – the film is beautiful. The Hours is my favourite film; I love the book equally.

18.) A book that NEVER should have been published?
Fifty Shades of anything, and all its half-cousins.

19.) Have you ever read a book that has made you hungry, cookbooks being the exception?
Heartless by Marissa Meyer. It gave me sugar cravings.

20.) Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?
In terms of poetry, I trust Susan from the Wordsworth Trust who runs my local poetry coffee morning. She knows a broad range of poetry, and often has insight into the poet’s creative process. 

I tag:
 Steph - eenalol

 Kelly - Kelly Rambles 



You Might Also Like

0 comments